At Smiles by Design, our dentists look upon tooth removal as a last resort. Our philosophy is if you are over 30 years of age and the preliminary X-rays do not show signs of abscess, cyst formation, or decay in the tooth or adjacent teeth then the tooth should remain.
Though we believe strongly in our philosophy, there are times when an extraction is recommended as the best solution for our patient. In these cases, the staff at Smiles by Design work tirelessly to ensure your comfort and reduce your anxiety.
A local anesthesia is administered to the area around the extraction site. Only when the patient is completely comfortable will the procedure begin, and, rest assured, the Smiles by Design staff will stay focused on your comfort the entire time.
Extractions are very invasive procedures, so special care will be required to speed your recovery:
- Ice packs applied to the cheek, alternating on and off each half hour, will help with any swelling.
- Bleeding may occur. Biting pressure on clean gauze will help stop the flow.
- Only eat soft foods and drink extra fluids.
- Hard, crunchy foods should be eaten carefully; avoid the extraction area.
- The day following surgery, take care to brush carefully.
- Take all of the medications prescribed, and precisely follow all instructions. This will greatly aid in the recovery process.
- Do not use drinking straws. They can cause loss of the blood clot in the extraction site.
- Your Smiles by Design dentist may recommend the use of a therapeutic rinse.
We offer more Restorative Dentistry Services – Smiles by Design offers a full range of restorative dentistry options that will give you back the confidence and functionality you have been living without. Our restorative dental treatments are designed to enhance our patients’ lives by giving them back the smile they deserve.
- Other Restorative Dentistry Services
Are you in need of the highest quality restorative dentistry in the greater Chicago area? Do you have a problem tooth? Then contact Smiles by Design today to have your situation evaluated, and get back on the path to a perfect smile!