Third molars are commonly called wisdom teeth. Only emerging in our late teens to early twenties, they can often become trapped or impacted (set in unusual positions – even horizontally) in the jawbone. They may even simply fail to break through the gums. These problems can cause crowding or displacement of the teeth, and lead to tooth decay, infection, and gum disease.
When and even if your wisdom teeth should be removed is a topic of great debate in the dental community. At Smiles by Design, we believe if you are over 30 and the x-rays are clear of any sign of abscess, cyst formation, or decay in the tooth or adjacent teeth then the tooth should remain.
Once a patient is determined to require a wisdom tooth extraction the patient is anesthetized, and an incision is made to allow for removal of soft tissue and bone overlying the tooth. Preferably the tooth is extracted whole, but if necessary it can be cut into smaller fragments that are then extracted. Stitches are used to close the incision when the tooth has been completely removed.
Extractions are very invasive procedures, so special care will be required to speed your recovery:
- Ice packs applied to the cheek, alternating on and off each half hour, will help with any swelling.
- Bleeding may occur. Biting pressure on clean gauze will help stop the flow.
- Only eat soft foods and drink extra fluids.
- Hard, crunchy foods should be eaten carefully; avoid the extraction area.
- The day following surgery, take care to brush carefully.
- Take all of the medications prescribed, and precisely follow all instructions. This will greatly aid in the recovery process.
- Do not use drinking straws. They can cause loss of the blood clot in the extraction site.
- Your Smiles by Design dentist may recommend the use of a therapeutic rinse.
To avoid unnecessary complications, the dentists at Smiles by Design recommend having your wisdom teeth examined early. As we age, wisdom tooth extraction becomes increasingly troublesome.
We offer more Restorative Dentistry Services – Smiles by Design offers a full range of restorative dentistry options that will give you back the confidence and functionality you have been living without. Our restorative dental treatments are designed to enhance our patients’ lives by giving them back the smile they deserve.
- Burning Mouth Syndrome
- Root Canal Therapy
- Wisdom Teeth
Are you in need of the highest quality restorative dentistry in the greater Chicago area? Are your wisdom teeth coming in or causing problems? Then contact Smiles by Design today to find out what your options are for living with or removing, that obstacle to the perfect smile!
Other Restorative Dentistry Services